Monday, September 2, 2013

Living My Passions!

If my mother could only see me now......I have been doing everything I was always told never to do.....jump in vehicles with strangers....walk after dark in strange areas.......yet, my "well traveled roommates" tell me this is OK!! .....Don't worry...I am being careful.....never going out alone and always traveling with a group!

Much reflection has occurred this week.....I am amongst many people, I am having a wonderful time, yet my soul stills fills half full. The end of a 35+ year relationship has left me with my identity in the "gray" zone. So many questions fill my mind.....what am I doing? where am I going? why am I doing what I am doing?...........I know the answers will not be revealed immediately......I continue to journey forward and follow those core values that Mercy Ships shares.......they are to Love God, Love and Serve Others and Be People of Integrity.......with those in my heart, my days are full  :)

My daily devotional shared -----
The possibilities for joy are limitless if we can do what feels good to us---in work, in life, in love, in play. Learn to be comfortable with joy. You have the power to create joy by choosing what feels good to you. The time for joy isn't later. The time for joy is now.

With this being said............these pictures share what gives me joy...

View from the Portside of the Ship



On our way to the Gran Marche'.........in the back of the Landrover

Two Friends


Our new friend Fred.....helped us navigate the market......He bought all the ingredients to make peanut soup! People everywhere, selling anything you want........Very noisy....yet in a good way.....lots  of loud music, hundreds of taxis...people singing, dancing, laughing............I was too overwhelmed to make a purchase......I just held on tight to my purse and tried to absorb all that I was seeing, feeling and hearing!..........Once I learn some French and am here awhile, I hope to make some purchases!

Fresh meat....seafood...and Flies everywhere!!



Dinner in town......Great Chinese Restaurant on the Beach.
Great Food and it was Great to have a glass of wine!!!!


We attended the Catholic Church on Sunday....Unable to get much from the service as it was all in French!  Probably 300-400 people attended, beautiful choir and the women are so beautiful in their African Dresses!...I will definitely have one made for me!

Awesome French Bakery that we had lunch in. Actually.....instead of a pub crawl like we do back home......we did a French Bakery Crawl!!!.........Yummy........10 months to taste French Pastries!

Diet Coke...$3.00



Money is called CFA...........5000 CFA = $10.00.........I am told that for a third world county prices are pretty high. I am also told that many people, even those with college degrees cannot get jobs, it is only those that come from wealthy families that are able to get jobs. Mercy Ships has hired many of the locals to help in the hospital and be translators, chaplains and crew help!

We spotted these lovely creatures going down a side road......I am glad I am living on the ship!

Beer Advertisement......It says:
Long Days
Beautiful Nights
A Man's Affair


My roommates Birthday
 We officially started doing surgeries today...I believe six were done today. I officially start working tomorrow. We work 5- 8 hour shifts, rotating days, evenings and nights. I am so excited to start. We prayed over all the beds in the wards today and on Saturday ALL the hospital crew came together and wove around the hospital and prayed over the entire hospital.

P.S.........I get a vacation in 6 months......Anyone want to come an visit me in South Africa....Meet me in Capetown!!

No comments:

Post a Comment